Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Coffee Warmer

We currently live in a remote location where we have limited electricity from a generator, which means no handy microwave to reheat my coffee in the morning.  Its been fun to get creative in getting back to the basics.  As I seem to always sip on my coffee a little too slowly I find that it gets cold frequently.  Chris has taken to reheating his in a pot on the propane stove, but the hassle of dirtying a pot compared to just dealing with the temperature never seems compelling.

I came up with this handy solution.  I'm sure its been done before, but I was happy with my repurposing and its effectiveness.  Using an 8oz tin can and a church key (old school can opener) puncture holes around the top and bottom of a can.  The trick is air flow.  I tried to make one with fewer openings, but found the tea-light kept getting snuffed.  I also tried using a 12 oz can, but found it took way too long to reheat cooled coffee.

I think I'll keep using this instead of a microwave even when the power is available as it keeps it nicely steaming and provides a nice luminescent design.

 Dad, I thought you'd appreciate my thrift store mug.

No comments:

Post a Comment